Laboratory Technical Specialist Lead (chemistry and same day testing) Job
Date: Dec 1, 2014
Location: Eden Prairie, MN, US
Job ID:: 31108
Department:: Central Lab
City:: Eden Prairie, MN
Location:: HP - Eden Prairie Office Building
Position Type:: Full-Time
Anticipated Work Schedule:: This position will work 1-11 pm Monday through Friday on a rotating schedule. Weekends and holidays may be included depending on workload.
Hrs/Pay Period:: 75
Join our growing organization and our mission to improve health! At HealthPartners, you will find a culture of ownership, pride, service and most importantly, partnership. By working together in the spirit of partnership, we have a workplace that makes positive changes in our community. Be a part of our many passions such as creating sustainability (green) programs to cut back on waste across our organizations, volunteering to build homes for Habitat for Humanity, introducing new approaches to care around mental illness, and winning worksite wellness awards like the Hennepin County’s Wellness by Design. Picture yourself at HealthPartners and imagine the future successes we could achieve together.
We have an exciting opportunity for a full time Laboratory Technical Specialist Lead at our Central Lab in Eden Prairie. This position is responsible for Laboratory Technical Specialist duties for a high complexity, high volume chemistry department. In addition, this position has Lead responsibilities for Same Day testing staff that includes but is not limited to: annual performance reviews, daily direct staff oversight, competency testing, cost accounting, assisting with department budget, and other duties.
This position will work 1-11 pm Monday through Friday on a rotating schedule. Weekends and holidays may be included depending on workload.
* Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Science/Clinical Laboratory Science or a related science from an accredited college or university and subsequent to graduation, have at least 12 months of appropriate clinical education and 4 years previous experience in a specified area.
* Certified as Clinical/Medical Laboratory Scientist (CLS/MLS) and/or Medical Technologist (MT) by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or equivalent professional organization. Must meet continuing education requirements to maintain certification if applicable. Advanced degree or training (Masters in Sciences or Clinical Specialty) may substitute for preferred certification.
* Proven verbal and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated projected management skills.
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others to achieve desired results.
* Demonstrated ability to establish and implement Lab testing methodologies and procedures.
* Demonstrated ability to establish and implement training.
* Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
1. Oversight of Technical Area Operations:
* Performs all the functions under the Medical Technologist job description, performing laboratory testing safely and at a consistently high level.
* Performs comprehensive assessment of laboratory testing processes from placing of the order to the reporting of the final results.
* Serves as a resource for the troubleshooting of methodologies, instrumentation, and processes in the Central Laboratory technical areas and Client Services.
* Assists with planning, cost accounting, monitoring of test volumes, monitoring of supplies, and staffing expenses.
2. Ensures Quality Services:
* Organizes and participates in the quality assessment of incident reports efficiently and timely.
* Under the direction of the Laboratory Leadership, works with laboratory staff and quality management, to troubleshoot problems and complaints to identify opportunities for improvement and possible solutions.
* Actively supports and participates in performance improvement activities.
* Insures safety requirements for performance of laboratory testing are being met.
* Follows Laboratory policies for the management of major events
* Responsible for maintaining compliance with applicable regulatory agencies including CAP/CLIA, CMS, OSHA and participates in inspections as required.
* Works in conjunction with Lab Leadership to assess competency and efficiency of Central Lab staff.
3. Maintains Current Testing Methodologies:
* Works in conjunction with Laboratory Medical Directors, Central Laboratory Manager, Laboratory Administration, and HealthPartners Lab Technical Specialists in the selection of the test methodology that is appropriate for the clinical use of test results.
* Verifies the test procedures performed following established protocols.
* Establishes and maintains laboratory’s test performance characteristics, including, but not limited to the precision and accuracy of each test and test system. Upon new instrument and new assay start up and as indicated by performance or regulatory guidance.
* Meets monthly or as needed with Laboratory Medical Director.
* Ensures participation in appropriate approved proficiency testing program with each test offered.
* Interacts, as needed, with vendor sales representatives and account managers to obtain information about new methodologies and products.
* Monitors test volumes in specified testing area and provides recommendations on bringing in new tests or discontinuing on-site testing.
* Develops, revises, and monitors quality control policies/procedures.
* Maintains chemical and biological hazards lists for specialty area. Handles these materials as per established protocol.
4. Work Environment:
* Provides feedback to Central Lab Manager in organizing work flow.
* Evaluates and documents competency testing in first 6 months and annually thereafter for all employees within assigned area.
* Demonstrates professional development through participation in continuing education, special projects, and professional organizations.
* Supports and conforms to laboratory safety policies. Knows fire and disaster plans pertaining to Central laboratory.
5. Establishes and maintains effective, collaborative working relationships with the other Laboratory Leadership team members, Clinic Lab partners, other healthcare teams, and across the organization:
* Collaborates with Lab Leadership on the standardization of training materials and competency assessment tools for staff and students in Central Lab.
* Demonstrates team building skills by working collaboratively with all Lab Leadership teams to ensure best laboratory practices.
* Coordinates the dissemination of information and compliances for regulatory requirements for specified area.
* Collaborates with Lab Leadership team and/or other healthcare team to develop and write procedures, policies and protocols as needed.
* Coordinates student rotations/internships within specified area.
6. Manages projects as assigned:
* Works with Lab Leadership to determine and prioritize project goals and objectives.
* Coordinates resources needed to meet timelines.
* Develops measurement and follows through with outcomes.
* Participates in system-wide projects/committees as needed.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
HealthPartners is nationally acclaimed for providing outstanding patient care and has an excellent benefits package. To see a complete job description and/or to apply for this position, please visit www.healthpartners.com/careers, click on I’m a Job Seeker and search for Job ID # 31108.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Move Up Back to top
Apply Now Add to Job Cart
View Search Results View Job Cart (0) Send This Job to a Friend View My Account
Nearest Major Market: Minneapolis
Job Segments: Chemical Research, Laboratory, Law, Scientist, Quality Manager, Engineering, Science, Legal, Quality